I went in on Thursday for the ultrasound and the tech said she had to go talk to the doctor when it was over so some OB doc came in and told us there were soft indicators I think he called them for Down Syndrome. He said the tech had seen 2 white spots on the heart which by themselves were common but had also seen excess fluid in the right kidney (I didn't know that's what the second thing was until the next day). He kept saying that even though my blood test screening had come back negative he wanted to be sure and was sending me to a specialist for another ultrasound. He kept saying over and over and implying again and again that the reason why they like to catch it as early as posible is so that if the couple choses to do so they can terminate the pregnancy if it is DS before they run out of the time frame for that option, as if he thought we would want to do that. It made me sick to be honest.
Well I cried and I guess Shaun cried later on that night and we had a big discussion and all this other stuff and I went in to Wilmington the next day in the morning for the other ultrasound. They had a much nicer tech and much better technology. She looked for everything that the tech the day before had looked for, confirmed it was a boy (haha, turtle...) and said everything looked normal to her. Someone who's learning the equipment played around and got some good pics while she went to show the images she had gotten to the doctor who talked to me and my mom (Faison had to sit out on that part and Shaun hadn't been able to come because of work). She said she didn't see what ever they had thought they had seen the day before and there was no excess kidney fluid and everything looked healthy and normal. She also told me the screening test that had come back negative was 80% accurate and that with the new ultrasound images told her there was a very slim to nill chance anything was wrong, so I was extremely happy and relieved and so was Shaun lemme tell you.
Oh, and what the first OB doc had failed to realize or mention was that in the state of NC it's illegal to get an abortion after 20 weeks. I was confirmed as a week ahead of what I had been told when I first got pregnant so I am 23 weeks and 2 days instead of 22 weeks 3 days I guess, roughly :P which puts my due date at around October 9 unless they change it, again. I go in tomorrow afternoon for a doctor appointment to go over everything and for a check up so we'll see how that goes.
Oh, and we're really thinking of Emrick Waylon Thomas :) Emrick is welsh and means immortal and Waylon is celtic and means son of the wolf (should be son of the wolves lol).
(Also got some more baby things...)
- 4 onesies
- A portable fold-up padded changer/sleeper
No comments:
Post a Comment